The gallery was originally a private home built in the 1860's. It was a one stage owned by a prominent solicitor, and named Merrifield House. In 1905 the Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy lived here. Bought by the Catholic Church in 1907, it was used as a residence and school - St Gabriels. The convent next door was built around 1912. The property was purchased in 1997 by Pat & Brian Nunan as a residence, gallery and studio.